Fellowship Baptist Church
History Behind Fellowship Baptist Church
Seventeen dissatisfied members of the Highland Baptist Church, now the Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church of Kansas City, Mo., formed and organized the Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church under the guidance of the Rev. C. S. Stamps in September, 1951. Council of ministers of the New Era District Association found that the new church was improperly organized because the dissenting members had failed to get dismissal letters from the Mother church.
The church was reorganized in February 1952 by Council of Ministers from the New Era District Association, moderated by the Rev. D. A. Holmes and the Rev. E. E. Chappell acted as its secretary. The congregation rented the old Boone Theater at 1711 E. 12th Street and later moved to 2433 Olive Street. On September 10, 1961 the congregation purchased property and burned the mortgage at 2547 Spruce Avenue. The following ministers, listed in chronological order, have served as interim pastors and pastors:Reverend George Chris, Interim pastor; Reverend J. B. Randolph, interim pastor; Reverend Rubin F. Fields, first pastor ( a period of eleven months); Reverend P. W. Jones, succeeded Rev. Fields as pastor for a period of ten months; Reverend Samuel Rucker, interim pastor for three months; then, Reverend H. J. Wormley, Jr. was called as Pastor and served until his death, September 9, 1969.
The congregation then called to pastor the Reverend Willard F. Warren, November 12, 1969. In April 1970 at the 2547 Spruce location, a conflict arose between the congregation and a black militant group in the area. Consequently, the church suffered numerous break-ins, broken windows, disturbances during rehearsals, and other property damages. Eventually, fire was set to the building causing the Pastor to declare the church in a state of emergency. A meeting was called and the majority of members present voted to move from the Spruce Avenue location. Later, dissent between the members caused the church to move as an incomplete group. The Western Baptist Bible College Chapel was secured as a place of worship for members who voted to follow the pastor, Rev. Willard F. Warren. The congregation worshiped at the Western Baptist Bible College for a period of sixteen months, and then purchased property at 7106 Prospect. The church moved to the new location on November 7, 1971. In September 1971 the name Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church was changed to meet requirements of the state of Missouri. The name was changed to Fellowship Baptist Church of Kansas City, Missouri, Incorporated so that the church could operate as a non-profit organization.
The church membership has grown significantly. Reverend Willard F. Warren retired on June 6, 2010 after forty-one years of dedicated service and leadership to his congregation. Rev. Eddie Clark served as interim pastor for three months until October 17, 2010, when Reverend Robert E. Watson was installed to pastor Fellowship Baptist Church. Reverend Watson served until March 2014.
Reverend Eddie Clark served again as interim pastor until September 2014 at which time Reverend Marvin Tigner was called to pastor and was installed Novemember 9, 2014.